Kitchen Cabinet on ABC TV – The 2022 election changed the face of the parliament…and the Prime Minister too. So Annabel Crabb is knocking on doors, and breaking bread with some fascinating figures in the federal parliament. In this season:
- At his outer Brisbane home Peter Dutton explains how a self-confessed shy kid became the Leader of the Opposition. Annabel interrogates how his career as a Queensland police officer has left a lasting impression on his politics.
- Western Sydney Independent Dai Le, while making bánh xèo, tells of her childhood escape as a refugee from Vietnam, a tale that includes storms, flying fish and pirates. She also outlines why the major parties should no longer assume any seat is ‘safe’.
- Annabel dines with Minister for Indigenous Australians Linda Burney and delves into her rich life story.
- Nationals Senator Bridget McKenzie was forced to resign from Cabinet in 2020, and over trout pasta, she explains the loneliness that comes from being in the eye of a political scandal. She also instructs Annabel in the art of clay target shooting as a Wodonga rifle range.
- Victorian Senator Lidia Thorpe is one of the most outspoken people in the current parliament. Annabel delves into what has shaped her life and views.
- Former Home Affairs Minister and Liberal MP Karen Andrews has announced she will resign at the next election, and in this candid interview she describes why Parliament House is the most sexist environment she’s ever worked in (and for a mechanical engineer who cut her teeth in blokey power stations, this is saying something.)
- Labor Minister for Aged Care and Sport Anika Wells juggles a big job, three young kids and a chronic illness. While batch cooking a very large lasagne she explains why she in a hurry to make her political mark.
- Greens Senator Jordon Steele-John has always stood out in the parliament. At age 23 he was the youngest person to join the Senate and the first Senator to use a wheelchair. Now 28, he discusses with Annabel how being young and living with a disability has shaped his approach to politics.
Production credit: Director Stamatia Maroupas (Ms Represented, The House, Kitchen Cabinet, Queerstralia), Executive Producer Madeleine Hawcroft (The House, Kitchen Cabinet, Back In Time for the Corner Shop), Producer Pauline Ernesto, Associate Producer Brett Worthington Editors Elizabeth Graetz & Sally Moran
Kitchen Cabinet – Tuesday 22 August, 2023 at 8.00pm on ABC TV and ABC iview
TV Central ABC content HERE