Millions of Australians see in the New Year with the ABC – 3.4 million Australians across the country turned to the ABC to celebrate the biggest night of the year, New Year’s Eve.
Hosted by Charlie Pickering, Zan Rowe and triple j’s Concetta Caristo, the evening of music and entertainment showcased some of the best Australian talent and included a special appearance from everyone’s favourite Heelers, Bluey and Bingo.
ABC’s Head of Arts, Music and Events, Kath Earle said:
“New Year’s Eve is magical and last night was no exception with millions of people joining the ABC for a shared celebration of live music, entertainment and the world-famous fireworks display above Sydney Harbour.
“I’d like to thank everyone, especially all the ABC staff, who worked around the clock to bring audiences every moment of this incredible night across ABC TV, ABC iview, on ABC Radio and social media. Happy new year to all!”
ABC’s NYE TV broadcast coverage reached 3.4m viewers last night. A total of 1.1m live streams were recorded across all ABC iview channels.
TV and ABC iview Audiences
- ABC’s NYE TV broadcast coverage reached 3.4m viewers last night.
- The Midnight Fireworks averaged 1.8m viewers, making the Midnight Fireworks again the top ranked program across all channels.
- The total ABC iview live stream results of NYE coverage increased again year-on-year, achieving a record NYE result of 1.1m – a 52% increase on the previous year.
- The ABC was the leading network in metro markets for NYE, with a five-city prime-time total TV share of 28.4%.
ABC’s New Year’s Eve 2023 coverage was live streamed directly to ABC TV + iview’s Facebook, YouTube, TikTok and Twitter accounts and shared with more than 77 ABC and partner accounts.
This included more than 20 of the ABC’s location-based regional and capital city Facebook pages, giving viewers right across Australia the ability to join in the live coverage and bringing the ABC’s vast audience into the New Year’s Eve conversation.
- On Facebook, overnight the live streams, highlights and NYE 2023 packages amassed a combined total of 387,000 views on ABC and partner pages.
- YouTube, ABC TV’s live streams, highlights and NYE 2023 packages reached 366,000 views at the time of reporting.
- On TikTok, ABC iview’s live stream amassed 395,000 views and 452,000 engagements, earning over 6,400 new followers.
- Audience engagement was strong throughout the night, with over 488K engagements across the live stream alone.
- Total views across social surpassed 2m.
The festivities kicked off on ABC TV and ABC iview at 8:30pm, with a Welcome to Country followed by an exclusive preview of Muster Dogs Series 2 and a behind-the-scenes look at what goes into making the best fireworks show in the world.
From 9:10pm, the NYE concert featured some of the biggest names in music, with electric performances from Jessica Mauboy, Genesis Owusu, King Stingray, Confidence Man, Angie McMahon, Mark Seymour, Grentperez, Casey Donovan, as well as a show stopping performance from international superstar Harry Connick Jr.
Finally, at midnight, and in partnership with the City of Sydney, the world-renowned fireworks display lit up the Harbour as the country welcomed in 2024.
Media Release – ABC
Millions of Australians see in the New Year with the ABC
Watch the New Year’s Eve concert and fireworks on ABC iview.
TV Central ABC content HERE